Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Taking advantage of technology... finally!!

About six months ago I broke down and bought a Sony Reader. I might have mentioned it here. So far I have used it for a couple of PDFs, some eBooks from a vendor we use at work, and eBooks I have checked out of the public library. I really had not purchased any books for it or even downloaded books from Project Gutenberg. Until now.

Last week-end, I decided that I was not taking full advantage of my Reader. So, I am taking steps to correct this. I know that I will never give up all "real" books. But the Reader can be very useful for certain books. I have downloaded quite a few books from Project Gutenberg which I like to always have on hand. Including Shakespeare and Jane Austen! I have also started purchasing some books which I would ordinarily purchase in paperback if I happened to run across them. I have purchased a couple of Kay Hooper books which I have been wanting to re-read. Quick, yet entertaining! Unfortunately it is all too easy to make these purchases very quickly!

I am also going to start putting some of the PDF reports that I need should be reading for work on it. I even filled out the paperwork and got the signature/approval required to be able to bring it to work to read there! Yippee!

I must really be moving into the digital world. Which is good, since I am supposed to be working on a new digital curation kind of project!

Well, tomorrow after work I am heading straight to the airport to go visit my sister in Houston. Blech! Not looking forward to Houston, but excited to see my sister! And I will be taking my handy dandy Reader along for the ride! It will be great for traveling as I will only have to carry it instead of the 5 or so books I usually travel with. Just in case... you know? Since you never know what kind of book you might feel like reading while traveling!

Any suggestions for eBooks? I find that the non-fiction books I have been looking for (admittedly, a very new one and a very old one) have been hard to locate. As usual, I am open to suggestion!

No comments:

Post a Comment