Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Cars, jobs, and books...

Okay, okay, so I am a bad blogger! I never claimed to be otherwise. And, if Dorothy Parker cannot be a little unpredictable and irresponsible then what is this world coming to?! Let's just say I lost track of time at the Algonquin...

Really, life is just unpredictable. Just when you think things are going smoothly and you can relax for a while, well, your car dies! And I really loved my car! It is (was?) a 1996 Pontiac Sunfire. No power locks, no power windows, no little remote for unlocking doors or opening trunks. The air conditioning had given out a few years ago and the trunk was slightly smushed, hence no need for a trunk popper as I rarely opened the trunk since it had become a bit finicky about closing again! But I loved it. It was comfortable! You know that old couch which has formed to your body and is just the right size and shape for you so you feel like you are being hugged? THAT was my Sunfire.

Last week it died.

At least it waited until I got converted to a real job from my Graduate Research Assistant position, and moved into my new house (rented, not bought). So I know I will be employed long enough to pay for a new car. Hopefully. (And I use the term "new" loosely!)

So, I am actually very excited about my new car. It is a 2009 Mazda 3. The sedan, not the hatchback. It has LOTS of buttons and "power" things for me to play with! And this week-end I am going to drive it up to Denver to test it out! (Really, I was already supposed to go to Denver, since we have the concert tickets!) It is going to be a blast! And I can try out my new headlights (I think they are the nice Xenon ones!)

And if that were not enough, I get to see an old friend and go to Red Rocks Amphitheater to see Yonder Mountain String Band and Leftover Salmon! Woo hooo!

On to other matters... my librarian position is going to continue for at least 3 more years. Which is great news, I know, I know. BUT. I have been feeling ambivalent about it. I miss archives. It would be great to move into the archives "here," but I know their budget is even less than the library's so the chances of a position opening are slim to none. But a girl can hope. And I have been in touch with the "historian" so maybe he will think of me if something does open. And there are other groups which could have something open eventually.

Don't get me wrong. I do like my job. And most days I really like working here and doing what I do. But some days I just really miss archives. And preservation.

Enough moping! I am done with moping! I recently read Mennonite in a Little Black Dress and highly recommend it. I think any woman can relate to it, even if you do not have a history with Mennonites. I loved her relationship with her sister! And her mid-life rethinking about her life. What woman cannot relate to that? Okay, perhaps some of you are still a bit young to be thinking that way, but trust me. It will come. So read and enjoy! She even includes a few recipes of dishes she has mentioned in the book (the recipes are in the "additional resources" part so make sure you get that edition). I have to try her hot potato salad and see how it compares with my grandma's recipe!

In closing, I will try to do better. Though I might have to switch to Wednesdays for a while...

I have missed the Fourmiddables and promise not to stray so long next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment