Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Turn off the TV Week, or the joys of a small town

This is my weekly Tuesday post, coming on Wednesday as it is because last night my 'puter was misbehaving and I had to shut it down and walk away or it was going to get thrown against the brick wall. Next week, I promise a Tuesday, Tuesday post!

On to the joys of small town living! A local elementary school is celebrating Turn off the TV Week with nightly events in the school gym. Fun, exciting evenings of board games, races, dances... you get the picture I am sure - anything to get you away from the TV! Well, they kicked things off Monday with a book sale. You know me, never met a book I did not like and never could turn down an invitation to a book sale. Even one in the gym of an elementary school.

While it was nothing fancy, or big, I love just being able to look over the tables of books, pick them up, flip through them, read a page here - a paragraph there. And I walked away with a bag of books for $1.75. You will be pleased to learn that they were not all for me.

I love buying books for others, mostly it ends up being my friends and family. Especially when they are as crazy about books as I, such as my father. Or for children. I have some dear friends who are 3 years of age and almost 5 years of age. I have imparted my love of books most especially to the nearly 5 year old girl. She loves her library. And I am now adding some dictionaries to her collection! (please see previous post by self) They had a beautiful hard bound My Fun With Words book. Which is basically a first picture type dictionary with easy to comprehend definitions. I also found a Children's Dictionary which may be a bit above them now, but will definitely come in handy later. They even had books I remembered from my childhood like Amelia Bedelia! No holy grails were found here, but treasures none the less.

And, tell me, is there anything better than buying books for children? The sheer delight on their little faces as they turn the pages of a new book just cannot be surpassed. Unless, perhaps, it is by the delight on my face as the new treasure is shared with me!

1 comment:

  1. Another joy of the small town is running into people you know at this type of event. It really makes me feel like I have 'come home' to run into people when I am out and about. Over all it was a fantastic Monday! And how often can you really say that?!

    ReplyDelete